Monday, March 31, 2008

Personal Elements in my Classroom

My field is literature. Plain and simple. Most everyone knows that my thing is old stuff, medieval works and before and for the past several months I have been working on combining the two fields of lit and composition. I use literature in my classroom as both models for works and as tools to attempt to enhance critical and analytical skills. I do not only use medieval texts, though my research does focus primarily on the use of Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, and Dante's Inferno. I have not had the opportunity to place this theory into practice, but what literature I have used, the results have been very good.
My main assignments that revolve around literature include a song lyric, "The Wendy Trilogy" in which I introduce feminine criticism to emphasize analysis; a portion of Joyce's Ulysses to emphasize the need for mechanics and structure; and A Modest Proposal to show the use of a well structured argument even in a situation that may be completely disagreeable. For now, those are my three main assignments that focus on a specific literary piece.

No comments: