Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Snow Days

AAHHH! Another damn snow day. What are we suppose to do with all the time we are missing. Granted, I had a few days worked into the schedule that really didn't serve any purpose other than filler. Days that could serve as a overflow if debates went over or discussions became intense, but now that is all thrown out the window. I know this is the case for all teachers, I am just not sure how to deal with it. I am just pressing on. No more hand holding. I had a a rough draft due on Thursday and had several students email me asking if the draft was still due. On Tuesday we were to discuss the Works Cited page, but now I have to combine the peer edit day with the WC discussion. I know that it is completely realistic to do this; I just like having time to work and allow the students to ask questions. So what are the rest of you doing. I am sure you all have had your schedules cramped to the point of frustration, especially now. Are you cutting assignments, merging assignments?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I don't know if it's just my personality type or what, but I find that I don't plan far in advance for anything but the major due dates. Maybe it's this hidden wisdom that little ever goes exactly as planned, maybe it's laziness, or maybe it's because planning too much feels offensive to the flower-child-queen-of-spontaneity in me... Either way, I don't have to shuffle much, since I rarely plan anything further than a week (two at the furthest, for the class debate, for example) in advance. It works for me. *shrug* But that's just me.

Sarah Viehmann said...

I wish I had thought to do like Niki did - I had the first half of my semester entirely planned out, and now of course my schedule is ruined and I'm having to rearrange EVERYthing. It seems like I do this every couple of days. For the last half of the semester, I think I'm just going to hand them the due dates and keep the (entirely flexible) lesson plan to myself. Having a set-in-stone schedule that I keep moving around does nothing but confuse them.