Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Authority and the Illusion of it.

How does a GA create an environment suitable for teaching in addition to keeping student involvement up? This becomes tedious when we, as GA's, have an unspoken responsibility and yet seemingly little authority over our own classroom. Now, please do not get me wrong, I am not on a crusade to level the playing field, mostly because I know it will not happen, but I am going to rant and I do not think I will be alone on this issue (rather vocalized or not).
With recent events in seasonal weather, it has once again been hammered into our consciousness that we, as GA's are less than human, or at least faculty. When ice covers the ground and slows productivity enough to require the closing of a University, several professors decide in favor of personal safety, and the safety of their students, as opposed to a full classroom for the day. This "privilege" does not, it seems, transfer to GA's and I am simply curious as to the reason. "If you live down a dirt road in a holler fifty miles from here and can't get out of your driveway because a tree is blocking it, then find a sub. :-)", I wonder how many other individuals not constrained by their high rank were forced to locate a substitute in the harsh weather, or if not forced, how many actually did?
It seems as though G.A.'s are little more than educated Pinocchios dancing for the amusement and productivity value of the puppeteer, Stromboli. And we all wonder why we do not have the authority to command a classroom and maintain student attendance when we ourselves are dancing on a high wire powerless to enforce any of the policies which we are also forced to include on our syllabus.

1 comment:

Lanette Cadle said...

Moses,

As a faculty member I can't make the decision to cancel class for weather either; only the university administration has that right. This is not just a policy for GTAs--it is for all faculty of all kinds and that includes tenure-line faculty, full time instructors, and per course. Now, some faculty may have decided to break policy and cancel anyway. I suspect so. However, as Director, it is my duty to make what is policy clear to the GTAs in English and to follow it myself.

This is not a case where GTAs are singled out for a more stringent policy.